Moving Tips For A Stress Free Relocation
Try these moving tips for a smooth transition to your new home.
Find a suitable moving company 20-30 days ahead of your planned move date. The week before your move, contact the mover and verify the date. Movers will typically be busier during the summer and the last few days of any month.
- When packing your belongings always use new boxes and do not force items to fit. Use large boxes for lightweight items and small boxes for heavy objects.
- If you will be packing your own belongings, start early to ensure you will be done in time for moving day.
- For your own protection, pack valuable items, credit cards, cash and breakables separately and keep them in your possession.
- Get a written appraisal for antique pieces and items of extraordinary value.
- Make sure you are ready to go on your moving day. Separate those items you are sending on the moving truck from those you are taking with you. The better prepared you are, the less you will pay since most movers charge an hourly rate for services.
- Keep all the important information about your move on a personal computer and make sure you back up the data.
- You will need to turn in a change of address form to the local post office to make sure your mail is forwarded to your new home. Give your new address to the electric, gas and water companies so they can forward your final bill to the proper location.
- Do not attempt to move any flammable or combustible material such as paint, thinner, aerosol cans and matches. Empty the fuel out of the lawn mower and any other tools that run on gas. Discard any propane tanks since movers will not transport them under any circumstance.
- Moving companies calculate the cost of a long distance move based on the miles traveled to the new destination, weight of shipment and volume of shipment. Some older items may cost more to transport than they are actually worth in their current condition. Homeowners can consider giving away any unwanted items, selling them at a yard sale or donating them to a local charitable organization before the move to avoid having to pay to move them.
We hope this moving tips will be useful and helpful!